Safety First!

ANOTHER weekend of action across the sporting globe has passed, here I take a look at a fascinating sporting Easter weekend.

Over in Bahrain, the F1 circus rolled into the desert, and didn’t disappoint as Max Verstappen was the first casualty of a couple of laps of mayhem, as his brakes failed, under the double yellow flags that followed, Carlos Sainz Jr. pitted, and then Canadian driver Lance Stroll turned in to the first corner, and right into Sainz, boom…

Out came the safety car.

Lewis Hamilton was then penalised for slowing down Daniel Ricciardo on the entry to the pit lane, and picked up a five second penalty, before the whole race carried on.

In all the chaos, Sebastian Vettel took the lead, and despite a valiant effort from the Brit, it was the German who took the chequered flag at the end of 57 laps.

with a 6 second gap to second place Hamilton…

In the Premier League, another twist in the chase for the title as leaders Chelsea slipped up at Manchester United, losing 2-0, whilst second place Tottenham Hotspur romped to a 4-0 win at home to Bournemouth.

Meanwhile, the race to replace whichever teams are relegated carried on apace in the EFL Championship, with Brighton now five points clear of Newcastle United, and confirmed as promoted after Derby drew with Huddersfield, whilst the playoff places could well go down to the last day of the season.

In what is called the toughest race on earth, armed forces veteran Duncan Slater became the first double amputee to ever complete the Marathon des Sables. Duncan lost his legs in Afghanistan in 2009 after his vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb.

The gruelling race consists of six stages – around a marathon a day – covering over 250 kilometres in total and competitors face temperatures up to 50°C and the terrain is extremely challenging, combining sand dunes and rocky hills.

Having had to drop out of last year’s race with a problem with his prosthetic legs, this year he raised over £20,000 for his chosen charity, Walking with the wounded.

In Super League it was a weekend where players had (for the most part) to back up and play another game in around 48 hours, it was once again the match officials that took centre stage at times.

I’m not going to make scapegoats of the officials, but there are certain ones who, perhaps unknowingly, seem to favour certain teams where infringements are concerned.

They have always been the bane of fans and coaches alike, but some seem to revel in their role as pantomime dames, almost wanting to be at the centre of attention…

It was as usual a weekend of contrasting results for teams, with Salford’s five game win streak ending in France, and Castleford dropping points at St. Helens.



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.